Friday, October 31, 2008

I like to call my favorite genre, "bubble gum for the mind."

I thought this would be a good post....here is my profile from GoodReads.com.

"I'm not a very good reader...I much prefer being out of doors..." -- Charles Bingley from Pride and Prejudice.

In a nutshell, I read when I can (which means on vacation). It's not that I don't enjoy it, I just keep myself too busy during the day, and reading at night puts me to sleep after the first few graphs. But when I have the time, I cram as many books in as I can.

I've never joined a book club, but I think the books I prefer would fall into the "book club" category, if that makes sense. I'm a huge fan of Jane Austen and recently read a sequel to Pride and Prejudice, which some fans might find absurd. But I'm not a snob about it and really enjoyed learning more about the lives of my favorite characters Darcy and Lizzie after the engagement. (I love the book so much that I named my dog Lizzie!)

I'm not an exceptional reviewer or critic - I tend to like almost everything I pick up. No matter what it is, I'm able to relate somehow to the characters or their stories. I don't generally read non-fiction but have enjoyed a few books about Buddhism (the philosophy more than the religion). One problem I have is I'm unable to retain the stories I read.... I can say "Oh, I read that!" but if anyone asks about the plot or characters, I'm likely to answer with "Ummmmmmm...." Seriously, what's up with that!

Currently listening to: nothing.