Friday, February 26, 2010

From food slave to food salvation


It's the Lenten season, which means a period of self-denial for us Catholics and other believers out there. While many celebrated Mardis Gras - or Fat Tuesday - last week, it seems I have been celebrating Fat Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and all the other days of the week, several times a day since Cruz was born. There was no denying my indulgence of sweets at every meal or snack - after all I was still eating for two, right? Twenty pounds and 3 months later, here we are.

Maybe I was in denial about my weight before but now I'm back on track, thanks to the resurrection of Jesus. The power of Christ compelled me to give up sweets, desserts, candy as well as red meat on Fridays.

Enter in obligatory Catholic loophole: apparently, according to one of my sources, we get one day to be bad again, and that's on Sundays. I guess God knew it was hard work to be penitent, so he decided to let us rest on the seventh day.

Long story short,as soon as I could say "Thank You, Jesus!" my mouth was full of my mom's sticky rice pudding. YUMMO!