Thursday, June 4, 2009

What I really like about Buenos Aires so far

...is that there is just so much to do, whether you have a set plan or not. I planned on taking a morning walking tour, but instead had a really cool day just wandering around the city, and the different places I come across seem to just fit my fancy. With so many barrios (sort of like little neighborhoods with their own character, similar to the burroughs of NYC), cultural and historical sites, it was easy for me to enjoy myself, even if my plans were foiled from the beginning.

This is what I mean:

1. Missed the 11 am walking tour (rather, I learned I went to the wrong place) so decided to walk around on my own today and really enjoyed it.

2. I hung out in Plaza de Mayo, where Evita waved to her loyal subjects from Casa Rosada.

Photobucket


These two lovely gentlement gladly smiled for the camera in Plaza de Mayo.

Photobucket

3. I took a tour of Cabildo de Buenos Aires, bought a cute handmade shoulder bag from local artisans in the plaza behind the building.

4. I stumbled into mass at Catedral Metropolitana. I know its bad form - and I did get in trouble - but I was able to snap a quick one! But because I'm catholic, I know I can ask for forgiveness. :)

Photobucket

5. Took a two hour break to rest in Plaza San Martin where bums and lovers alike take a siesta.

Photobucket

6. This time found the free walking tour that took me through Retiro and Recoleta, showing us all the really nice architecture around the area and giving us the PorteƱo (local) version of Buenos Aires history.

7. Had fruit salad and a delicious hot chocolate at Cafe La Biela in Recoleta. They basically put a few bars of Argentine chocolate (not to be confused with chocla) in steaming hot milk. Muy rico! (I had to choose something other than coffee).

Photobucket

8. Found a little jazz lounge where a local jazz band was playing - which I'll blog about later - and had a very nice dinner on my own.


Overall, it was a very full day and I'm so tired and sore. My knee is feeling a little wierd so tomorrow my plan is to rest up for Pam's arrival on Saturday, where we plan on attending the Argentina v. Columbia futbol game!!!!!!!