Friday, June 5, 2009

Buenos Aires...and all that JAZZ (a review)

With all the Buenos Aires has to offer culturally (more than a hundred teátros, dozens of art and history museums, Tango, etc), I was really surprised to find that its live music scene was not all that I thought it would be. Prior to my trip, I asked M if there were any places where you could find a samba or salsa band, assuming they would be on every corner because of Argentina's proximity to Brazil and other Latin American countries where you can find this type of music. She didn't really know of any so yesterday when I walked by the Jazz and Samba Lounge, I was super excited to see there was a show that night. Carlos Girigliani (spelling) and the Buenos Aires Small Band would be playing!

When I showed up early and was the only one at the lounge for an hour, I became suspicious. When only 6 other fans showed up later, I was a little comforted. When the players started to file on stage with their stands and sheet music, I became skeptical, and later when they started to play "When the Saints Go Marching In," I asked for the check and left the bar.



Carlos Girigliani and the Buenos Aires Small Band had 7 players (not small, they almost knocked each other off the stage): trumbone, trumpet, alto, tenor and bari sax, drums and bass. The main dude was the pianist and it seemed like he was more into conducting this group than actually playing.




I'm not a jazz snob by far, but if you know anything about jazz, it's that while songs are based off of standards, the music that is created and improvised is really what makes it jazz. There is no reading of music - instead, its all about eye contact between the rythmn section, instinct and mood. Not so much in BA. And in their defense, I can't be too harsh, afterall, BA doesn't tout its jazz expertise.

Overall, it wasn't terrible: everybody was on key, everybody stayed together and played nicely. But the jazz standards I heard were just...well... standard.